Thursday, December 29, 2011

Neighbourhood Gem

Even with all the holiday madness we all need to take a break and grab a bite to eat.  A bit here and a nibble there help makes the day better.  I just got to remember to not let go too much or there will be much regrets come January.

This was a good time to reward myself for finishing my Christmas shopping early.  On Christmas eve I couldn't help but to cozy up in front of the radiant heat and aroma of the shawarma broiler at Folia Grill.  Really, it is akin to being seated at the chef's table as I was sitting that close.  It is an added bonus when I am just steps away from my home.  These small local places really deserve our support when they have such a great product. 




This isn't the first time I've been here and they have been hitting the mark each time I come to feed my cravings.  They have a simple menu and from the two items I have tried I think they nailed everyone of them.  The item I always get is the pork belly souvlaki sandwich.  Another patron that came right after me ordered just the sticks.  He was dumbfounded when he was told that it would take 15 minutes for it to cook.  Those sticks weren't going to be worth the price of a parking ticket so he ask it to be wrapped and took them home...raw.  That was definitely food for thought when I heard that.  Was he also in a rush for the holidays?

Everything was made by hand as I watched the cook happily humming to Christmas carols while dipping and cooking my zucchini fries.  If there was such a thing as guilt free fries then these are it!  Lightly battered, crunchy, starch free, and guilt free batons that filled the plate which was accompanied by a spicy herb aioli.  Easily the plate can be shared with two or three people and they were delicious!



Here is the star of the show! Pork belly is something I don't think I will ever get tired from eating. It's the wonderful properties that the fat imparts to the meat to make it taste so much better.  The comparison is like having a t-bone steak and any other cut of meat.  It was the tastiest and juciest souvlaki sandwich I've had.  Personally I didn't care for the french fries inside since it feels like a filler that detracts from the taste.  I like my hand held food messy and the fries are acting like a sponge by cleaning up the mess.  Some people may appreciate this since they don't want their hands or themselves smelling like food.  All I can say is to each their own.





Folia Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment