Thursday, June 23, 2011

Taste of Little Italy Take Two?

Last week must have been one of the busiest weekends for the city. This was just a short list from Toronto Life of what's happening. This weekend my goal was to try to hit Little Italy, 1000 Tastes of Toronto, and Deli Duel 2. It makes someone like me really happy! Toronto still has a ways to go compared to NY or LA but we're getting there. :)

This event is still in its infancy compared to something like 'Taste of the Danforth'. Last year I wasn't very happy so I figured I would give it one more chance. Looking at the participant list I didn't expect too much but still hoping there might be some surprises. L.A.B stood out and really piqued my curiosity. Even though Woodlot is right inside the area; they were participating at 1000 Tastes. I will have another post about that event after this one. Foodpr0n has her opinion about it if you want to read it as well.

Leaving the steetcar on college and bathurst I can see a crowd developing around the corner. At the corner however was a different story seeing that the event was a few blocks down at Euclid Ave. Passing by children's area was a group of adults lining up. Free stuff is always good, right? My patience was well rewarded!
 

If nothing else of today then I got free beer at least! Down the next street they were also giving out Vitaminwater.  The line up was almost as long and my stomach didn't have any more patience so I kept walking on.  As the day went by I got some good pictures but very few things really caught my eye or my appetite and reeled me in to the vendors.


Sidecar has some nice smokers on display cooking some delicious roasted pig.  Last year I had this it was pretty good.   Now that I'm spoiled by Porchetta and Co I could only stand by and take some of these shots.



There was no shortage of protein in this streetfest and nothing says summer like meat and fire!




These people do get a nod for presenation for their risotto!





On a hot day like saturday there was no shortage to find something to cool down. Along college now there are a string of gelato places from the Mad Italian, Creme, and Dolce Gelato.  Good to know where to go for gelato in the downtown area.  The Big Chill also has small cute baby cones for a dollar (sorry no pictures)!




The Auld Spot had some nice fresh oysters that I couldn't resist!

 





Getting back to L.A.B, I was disappointed by their menu and at the same time I couldn't expect them to work their magic on the curbside.  I admit that I did not try the food based solely on what was on their sign which I now regret not giving them a fair chance on the food.

Little has changed this year for me but if you haven't been here then you should come down next year.  It is a more casual atmosphere and you don't have to fight huge crowds like the Danforth. 

At the end of the day, I give thanks to the free beer, good food and this other great picture I got to take with permission, of course! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment